Trojita, the fastest Email Client - Gmail Setup Guide

 I had recently switched to KDE from Gnome and was looking for an Alternative for Geary. I really liked how fast Geary was and neither Thunderbird nor KMail could act as a replacement for my need(Simple and fast). Before giving up for another Electron app, I gave a try to Trojita and immediately fell in love with its speed. It was blazingly fast to the extent even Geary could never match! This is a simple guide to setup Trojita for Gmail.  Sources: OMG Ubuntu Google Support Overview: You need to make use of App Passwords in Google Account in order to access Trojita through Gmail (The other way is to enable Less Secure App Access which doesn't sound inviting!). App Passwords, in turn, need 2-Factor Authentication turned on. After installing Trojita, you need to setup IMAP servers for Gmail. Turn on 2- Step Verification Set up App Passwords Install Trojita Logging in with Gmail 1. Turn on 2-StepVerification Open your Google Account . In the navigation panel, select Security . Un

Microsoft Documents opens via Ark in KDE Neon (with Solution)


With Ubuntu moving away from Unity, I was looking for a different desktop experience with a modern outlook. So, I decided to try out KDE Neon, using KDE for the first time in my life. So, when I finally setup WPS Office successfully (Yes, that needs squashing bypassing some bugs too! Click here for install and setup guide.), it didn't open files when opened from the default file manager. Instead, I was facing an Ark zip manager. For the first time, I realized that MS Office documents are really archives!

The usual steps for any other misconfiguration of filetypes is as follows.
  • Open Dolphin
  • Right click one of those documents and select properties
  • Then click the File Type Options button
  • Then in the Application Preference Order window select the program you want to handle that type, and use Move Up button till that program is at the top.
It was a pretty weird bug because the above steps didn't solve the issue. No matter what you change in file association box in dolphin, that doesn't work. So, instead of going for the obvious workaround (uninstalling WPS), I chose to find some answer. Thanks to the strong community of Manjaro Linux, I was able to find the workaround which is as follows.

  • cd /usr/share/mime/packages/
  • sudo rm wps-office-et.xml 
  • sudo rm wps-office-wpp.xml
  • sudo rm wps-office-wps.xml
  • sudo update-mime-database /usr/share/mime
  • Now, follow the usual steps as provided above to set the file types successfully.

Source: Manjaro Linux forum

Comments

  1. Thank you a lot! That helped me to solve the problem. I'm interesting if you got the latest version of wps work on kde?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment